Cheera Sambar a.k.a Red Spinach Dal Curry.
This is one of my Favourite and Special Curry in my life, Since I love the Red Spinach the most in vegetable leaves. I still remember my childhood days which i was always asking for “cheera” to my Grandma. My School Lunch Box carry this curry most of the time. This Curry with Brown Rice.. no words to describe.
Red Spinach is very low in calories, fresh spinach is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, plus iron and other essential minerals.
- Cheera (Red Spinach) Leaves 1 Bunch (Chopped Coarsely with out stem)
- Thor Dal (Lentil or Sambar Dal) 1/2 Cup
- Shallots (Small Onion) 4 Nos. Chopped.
- Green Chilly 3 Nos. Sliced.
- Tomato 1 Small nicely chopped.
- Tamarind Pulp (As required)
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 Teaspoon.
- Chilly Powder 2 Teaspoon.
- Coriander Powder 2 Teaspoon.
- Asafoetida (Kayam) 1/4 Teaspoon.
- Sambar Powder 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon.
- Fenugreek seed 2-3 Nos.
- Coconut Oil, Salt, Mustard, Dry Chilly and Curry Leaves as required.
- Pressure cook the Dal with Shallots (Keep apart a little for Seasoning), Green Chilly, Turmeric Powder and Salt as required.
- Cook it for 2-3 Whistles, Open the lid and Mash the dal well.
- Heat up the cooker on medium flame, Add Chilly Powder, Coriander Powder, Sambar Powder, Asafoetida, Tomato, Tamarind Pulp and Stir well.
- Add Cheera Leaves (Red Spinach Leaves) and enough water, salt (if required). Cook for another 1 Whistle.
- Open the lid and keep the cooker on medium flame, Stir Occasionally still we get the required consistency (About 2-3 Minutes).
- Heat up your Favourite Pan with Coconut Oil (As required) to Splutter the Mustard, add Fenugreek seed and Small Onion. Sauté till the Onion become Transparent.
- Add and roast the Dry Chilly and Curry leaves; Pour this seasoning over the Curry and mix well.
- Adding a 1/2 Teaspoon of Ghee will make this Curry Rich .