Chicken Mezhukkupuratti (Kerala Style),Mezhukkupuratti is a style of preparation for vegetarian dishes in Kerala (especially in Central Travancore) where the vegetable is stir-fried with spices. Chopped onions or shallots may also be used.
Usually the dish is prepared from any of the following vegetables; Raw Banana (വാഴക്ക), Elephant foot Yam (ചേന), Bitter Gourd (പാവൽ), Ivy Gourd (കോവക്ക), Yarding Bean (പയർ), Green Bean, etc.
I tried this in my kitchen with a twist replacing the vegetables with Boneless Chicken. It was spicy and come out very well. This dish can be served with Rice.
- Boneless Chicken 1 Kg (Cut in to small cubes)
- Shallots (Peral Onion) 1 Cup Sliced
- Green Chilly 6-7
- Crushed Garlic 1 Teaspoon
- Crushed Ginger 1 Teaspoon
- Kashmir Chilly Powder 2 Teaspoon
- Crushed Dry Chilly Flakes 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala (Home Made, Crush the below together)
- Fennel Seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Cardamom 6 Nos.
- Cloves 6 Nos.
- Ani Seeds 1 Nos.
- Cinnamon small piece
- Dry Chilly 4 Nos.
- Pepper Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Mustard, Curry Leaves, Coconut Oil and Salt as required.
- Mix the Chicken pieces with Turmeric Powder, Kashmir Chilly Powder, Crushed Ginger and Garlic, Salt, Curry Leaves, Garam Masala and little Coconut Oil.
- Take you favourite Kadai; Cover and Cook the Chicken Mixed with Spices for about 15 minutes or it become tender.
- Take your favourite frying pan; splutter the mustard seeds, Dry Chilly and Curry leaves using required Coconut Oil.
- Add Pearl Onion (Shallots), Sauté till it become tender; Add Green Chilly, Dry Chilly Flakes and Sauté for a While
- Add Cooked chicken and Roast as required. Sprinkle Pepper Powder in between.