Ada or Ela Ada, is a traditional Kerala delicacy, consisting of rice parcels encased in a dough made of rice flour, with sweet fillings, steamed in banana leaf and served as an evening snack or as part of breakfast. Grated coconut and rice flour are the two main ingredients. It’s a snack made out of raw rice flour, sugar or jaggery and grated coconut. It is usually prepared on Onam. Poovada, is prepared in the tip end of the plantain leaf as the Nivedyam for Onam, into this ada goes, with the coconut filling, a sprinkling of the Thumbapoo(a white flower Leucas aspera), making it more auspicious. Sometimes banana is also added in the filing which is coconut-jaggery-banana filling. Spicy Ottada is a unique breakfast with maida and rice flour as the main ingredients. It can be also made without maida, but using the rice flour alone and it is not steamed instead cooked on Tava or flame. Sometimes the fillings inside ada would be Chakkavaratti (Jackfruit Jam). Ada is also given as Prasadam (Sacred Food) to devotees at temples in Kerala.
Here i am going to prepare this kerala delicacy with raw rice flour and jaggery mixed with freshly grated coconut; Steamed in banana leaf. ????
Ingredients for Ada Filling
- Grated Jaggery 3/4 Cup
- Grated Coconut 3/4 to 1 Cup
- Cardamom powder a pinch
- Ghee 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients for Ada
- Rice Flour (Roasted) 1 Cup
- Hot water as required
- Ghee 1 Teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Banana/Plantain Leaves as required
- Heat up your favorite Kadai with Ghee
- Add all the ingredients for Filling and sauté well until well combined and soft
- Set aside the prepared Filling.
- Add Salt to the rice floor, Pour hot water as required and knead it well by adding ghee till it become soft dough.
- Roll the dough in to balls, and flatten it on to the center of a square piece of banana/Plantain Leaf
- Place two tablespoon of filling on to the flatten dough, fold the leaf in the middle and seal the edges gently by pressing it. Repeat the process to the remaining dough balls.
- Steam this in a steamer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve HOT!!!!