Irachi Pathal or Erachi pathiri (fried bread stuffed with Chicken masala) is a traditional Malabari food item, which is very delicious, rich meat-filled pastry. Erachi pathiri is very popular in Malabar and through out Kerala during the period of Ramadan. This usually prepares it in all iftars. It is a meal by itself. You can use Chicken, Mutton or Beef for the spicy meat filling.
This recipe use Chicken for filling, But you can substitute Chicken with Mutton or Beef for the Filling. Lets Fry Pathal’s !!!
- Wheat Flour 1 Cup
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) 1 Cup
- Boneless Chicken Breast 500 Grams. (Medium Pieces & Cleaned)
- Crushed Ginger and Garlic 1 Teaspoon Each
- Green Chillies 3 Nos. (Chopped)
- Chopped Onion 1 Nos. Big
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Chilly Powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1/2 Teaspoon
- Pepper Powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Coriander Leaves, Salt, Water and Vegetable Oil as required
Directions for Chicken Fillings
- Combine Chicken with Turmeric Powder, Chilly Powder and Garam Masala;
- Add little water, salt and cook it on medium flame till done; Allow it to cool and thereafter mince or shred the chicken; Keep it aside.
- Heat up a Pan on medium flame with a little Oil and Saute the Onion till it become transparent.
- Add Crushed Ginger and Garlic, Green Chilly; Saute for a minute
- Add minced or shredded chicken, Pepper Powder and a pinch of Garam Masala Powder.
- Saute it till the All the masalas are coated will; Sprinkle coriander leaves and keep it aside.
Directions for Irachi Pathal
- In a bowl, Combine the wheat flour, all purpose flour, 1-2 drops of oil and required salt
- Add enough water and make a soft dough; Close the bowl with a lid and Keep it aside for 10 minutes
- Divide in to small balls of equal size and roll it in to thin circle and cut it from the center.
- Take one piece and place the 1 Tablespoon of Chicken filling and fold it; Press the edges well
- Cut the edges with the Samosa or Pathal cutter (if you don’t have the cutter, press the edges with a fork or Fingers); Repeat till this all Pathal are done.
- Heat Oil in a heavy bottom pan over Medium Heat and deep fry all Stuffed Pathal till it turns golden brown, (Don’t forget to flip in between)
- Transfer to plate with paper towel
- Enjoy hot with Strong Tea