Puliserry is a popular Kerala Dish, it is generally made with a fruit, the most popular one being Mambazha Pulissery made out of ripe Mangos (Chandrakaran Mango). Mambazha Pulissery is an incredible authentic and royal dish of kerala, it has lovely blend of fruity, slightly sweet, spicy and tangly flavors. This is my all time favorite dish. We where searching for Chandrakaran Mango for a long time in Qatar, On our recent trip to the Lulu Hyper Market, we were able to find out this sweet ingredient of the Royal or say Kovilakam style Mambazha Pulissery.
Chandrakaran mango (ചന്ദ്രകാരൻ) This Kerala variant is the most expensive and costly mango variety found in the state and is used in preparing traditional item Mambazha Pulissery.The mango is a juicy fruit belonging to the Genus Mangifera,flowering plant family Anacardiaceae.
Puliserry is sweet and sour, coconut and yogurt based curry. It is more or less like Moru curry. Acutally there is not much difference except that pulissery generally makes use of seasonal fruits like Pineapples, Nendram Pazham/Plantain, Mangoes, whereas vegetables like Yam, Ash gourd, Cucumber, Papaya, Pumpkin,etc are added to Moru curry. Use only ghee to get the authentic royal and rich taste.
Note. Neelam Mango is good substitute for Chandrakaran Mango (ചന്ദ്രകാരൻ)
Do give a try and Enjoy!
- Ripe Chandrakaran mango (ചന്ദ്രകാരൻ) 3-4 Nos. (Whole mango Skin Peeled)
- Jaggery Syrup 1/4 Cup
- Grated Coconut 4 Tablespoon
- Sour Yogurt (Whipped) 1 Cup
- Green Chilly I Nos.
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 Teaspoon
- Chilly Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Ghee 3 Teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds a Pinch
- Curry Leaves as required
- Dried Red Chilly 2 Nos.
- Mustard Seeds, Salt and water as required
- Grind Grated Coconut, Green Chilly, Turmeric Powder and Green Chilly in to smooth paste by adding little water; Keep it aside
- Heat up your favorite clay pot with 1/2 cup of water and the mangoes,
- Let this boil and simmer for 5-8 minutes or till the mangoes are cooked.
- Add Jaggery syrup and cook about 5 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of ghee in to this and mix well
- Add the ground coconut paste and whipped sour yogurt and stir; Add curry leaves in between
- Remove from heat before the gravy starts frothing on the sides
- Heat up your small frying pan with 2 teaspoon of ghee and splutter Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Dried Red Chilly and Curry Leaves. Pour this tempering over the prepared Mambazha Pulissery
- Cover the dish for 10-15 minutes, let the flavor set!!