Moru kachiyathu or Moru Curry; Yet another recipe from Kerala Kitchen which is an integral part of Sadya. This Kerala style seasoned buttermilk curry is nothing but Buttermilk seasoned with Indian spices like ginger, garlic, green chilies, onions or shallots, curry leaves etc. Like most of the Sadya dishes, this is also super quick and easy to make and hardly takes 5 minutes to whip up.
Moru Curry tastes delicious with rice but I also like savouring it just as it is as well. Tangy, subtly spicy, aromatic and outrightly lipsmacking this curry perks up my mood every time I eat it!
On that note, here is how to make Moru kachiyathu..
- Curd 1/2 Cup
- Butter Milk (Laban) 1 Cup
- Onion 1 Nos. Finely Sliced
- Tomato 1/2 Cubed
- Ginger 1 Small piece (Julienne Cut)
- Green Chilly 4 Nos. (Slit)
- Red Chilly 2 Nos.
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Coconut Oil, Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Curry Leaves and Salt as required
- Blend Curd and Butter Milk adding 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- Heat up your deep bottom pan with coconut oil; Splutter Curry Leaves, Red Chilly, Fenugreek Seeds and Mustard Seeds
- Add Ginger, Green Chilly and Onion; Sauté till Onion become transparent and add Turmeric, Salt
- Add tomato and saute till it become half cooked
- Reduce the flame and add the Blended Mixture; Stir for about 1 minute or till the steam comes though the spatula (Do not let the curry boil)
- Close the flame. Close the pan with a lid and keep it for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Kerala Rice.