Puliserry is a popular Kerala Dish, it is generally made with a fruit, the most popular one being Mambazha Puliserry made out of ripe Mangos (Chandrakaran Mango). Mambazha Pulissery is an incredible authentic and royal dish of kerala, it has lovely blend of fruity, slightly spicy and tangly flavors. This is my all time favorite dish. Since the the Chandrakaran Mango is not available in Qatar, I am going to cook this up with Nendram Pazham aka Kerala Ripe Banana (നേന്ത്രപഴം) which can be called up as Nendram Pazham Pulissery.
Puliserry is sweet and sour, coconut and yogurt based curry. It is more or less like Moru curry. Acutally there is not much difference except that pulissery generally makes use of seasonal fruits like Pineapples, Nendram Pazham/Plantain, Mangoes, whereas vegetables like Yam, Ash gourd, Cucumber, Papaya, Pumpkin,etc are added to Moru curry. Use only ghee to get the authentic royal and rich taste.
Do give a try and Enjoy!
- Nendram Pazham [Kerala Ripe Banana (നേന്ത്രപഴം)] 2 Nos.
- cut in to medium pieces and remove the black string
- Freshly grated coconut 1/2 Cup
- Green Chilly 1 Nos.
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 Teaspoon
- Chilly Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Whisked Sour thick Curd or yogurt 1 Cup
- Ghee 2 Teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 Teaspoon
- Dried Red Chilly 3 Nos.
- Salt, Curry Leaves and Water as required
- Heat up your favorite Clay Pot, with Ghee; Splutter Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Curry Leaves and Dried red chillies
- Add the Banana pieces adding little water with turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt; Close with a Lid and cook till done. (About 10 minutes)
- In the meanwhile, Grind Freshly grated coconut and Green chilly in to a fine paste
- Add the ground coconut chilly paste and a little water in to the cooked bananas
- Cook in a very low flame about 5-7 minutes until the raw taste of coconut gone completely
- Add the Curd/Yogurt to this, adjust salt and give it a nice stir; Stir continuously until the steam comes though the wooden spatula (After adding curd/yogurt don’t let it boil)
- Switch of the flames and stir for a few more minutes.
- Enjoy with Kerala Matta Rice, Kadu Mango Pickle and Curd