Pacha Manga Chammanthi (Roasted Dry Red Chilly & Raw Mango Chutney) or Green mango Chammanthi, also known as raw mango Chammanthi, is an Kerala Chammanthi prepared from unripe mangoes. Ripe mangoes are sweet and are not used for Chammanthi as they are eaten raw. Green unripe mangoes are hard and sour, and they are used in the Pacha Manga Chammanthi. Mango Chammanthi’s are tangy in taste.
This is one of my favourite during my childhood. My Grandma used to prepare this on traditional “Ammi Kallu” (hand grinder), it’s so mouthwatering and spicy accomplishment with Rice or “Kanji” (Gruel). Find below recipe using mixer grinder, instead of traditional “Ammi Kallu”.
- Coconut (Freshly Grated if Possible) 1 Cup
- Dry Red Chillies 5 – 6 Nos. (Slightly Roasted with out Oil)
- Small Onion 3 Nos.
- Ginger 1/2 teaspoon (nicely chopped)
- Raw Mango a Piece (As required for your tangy delight)
- Curry Leaves 5 – 6 Nos.
Note. If you don’t like the reddish color; You can add Green Chilly and reduce red chillies accordingly,
- Blend coarsely Roasted Chillies, Small Onion, Ginger and Raw Mango Pieces with out adding water(1-2 Whips will be enough)
- Add the Grated coconut and curry leaves and blend again (1-2 Whips will be enough)
- Shape it and Enjoy with hot Kerala Rice.