Pachadi (Telugu: పచ్చడి, Tamil: பச்சடி, Malayalam: പച്ചടി) refers to a traditional South Indian pickle used as side dish. Broadly translated, it refers to food which has been pounded. In Kerala and Tamil Nadu, pachadi is a side dish curry similar to the North Indian raita, and is made with yoghurt, coconut, ginger and curry leaves and seasoned with mustard.
Pachadi is a simplest South Indian dish that falls somewhere between curry, salad and condiment this is a common dish served in Kerala Sadya (feast). Pachadi can be made of any vegetable like cucumbers, squash, mango, bitter gourd, mango, pineapple or carrot, etc. The main flavors are sweet from the coconut and sour from the yogurt. Today we are going to make the Authentic and Traditional Cucumber (വെള്ളരിക്ക) Pachadi; This is a secret recipe of my loving Vanthenty (Aunty) which I am going to expose here.
Try this healthy, refreshing and simple pachadi /curry and Enjoy!
- Golden Cucumber (വെള്ളരിക്ക) 1 Cup (Pealed, Cleaned and Small Cubed)
- Ginger 1 Small Piece
- Green Chillies 3 Nos. Slitted
- Whipped Sour Yogurt or Curd 3/4 Cup
- Grated Coconut 1/2 Cup
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 Teaspoon (For Grinding)
- Cumin Seeds a Pinch
- Coconut Oil, Mustard Seeds, Dry red chili, Curry Leaves and Salt as required
- Heat up your favorite Kadai with Cucumber, Salt, 2 Green Chillies and Little water; Cover and cook until done; Allow it to cool
- Grind the Grated Coconut, 1 Nos. Green Chilly, Ginger and little Sour Yogurt; grind till it become smooth paste
- Add Cumin Seed and Mustard Seeds (1/4 Teaspoon) to this smooth mixture and crush/grind (1 Second) in the mixer itself
- Add coconut paste to the cooked cucumber, Add remaining Yogurt and Salt to taste, Mix/Stir well (Never keep this on flames)
- Heat Coconut Oil in a small frying pan; Splutter Mustard Seeds, Dry red chili and Curry Leaves, pour this to the Pachadi and Mix well.
- Served with Kerala Rice and enjoy.