A samosa (/səˈmoʊsə/), samoosa, sambusa, or samboksa is a fried or baked dish with a savoury filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, lentils, macaroni, noodles, minced lamb or minced beef. Pine nuts can also be added. Its size and consistency may vary, but typically it is distinctly triangular or tetrahedral in shape. Indian samosas (Punjabi Samosa) are usually vegetarian, and often accompanied by a mint chutney. Samosas are a popular entrée, appetizer or snack in the local cuisines of the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Central Asia, Southwest Asia, the Arabian Peninsula, the Mediterranean, the Horn of Africa, North Africa and South Africa. Due to cultural diffusion and emigration from these areas, samosas in today’s world are also prepared in other regions.
Here i am going to prepare Punjabi Style Samosa inspired from the recipe of Bombay Chef Mr. Varun Inamdar
Ingredients for Patti
- All Purpose Flour 1 Cup
- Semolina / Rava 2 Tablespoon
- Ghee 4 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds 1 Tablespoon
- Baking soda 1/4 Teaspoon
- Sugar 1 Teaspoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon
- Water 1/2 Cup
Ingredients for Filling
- Ghee 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds 1 Teaspoon
- Green Chillies Chopped 1 Nos
- Ginger Crushed 1 Tablespoon
- Green Peas Boiled 100 Grams
- Chilly Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder 1 Tablespoon
- Boiled Potatoes 300 Grams (Cut Roughly)
- Mint Leaves a handful
- Coriander a handful
- Salt to taste and Vegetable as required to fry
Directions for Outer Covering
- Take the flour, melted ghee, semolina, cumin seeds, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Mix all these ingredients till they start looking like breadcrumbs. Once done, add water and knead a stiff dough by massaging it for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth for 15-20 minutes.
Directions for Stuffing
- Heat a deep pan on moderate flame. Once the pan heats up add ghee, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, chopped chillies and crushed ginger.
- Stir and add boiled peas and give a few tosses
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Add Potatoes to the pan with mint and coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients nicely, turn the flame off and let the stuffing cool down to room temperature.
Directions for Assembling
- Divide the dough into equal portions.
- Roll the dough in a circular disc and divide it into half.
- At the base of the half apply cold water with your fingertip and form a conical shape of the dough.
- Take a ball of stuffing and make it into a teardrop shape and drop it in the cone.
- Apply some water on all the sides of the open flap and seal the cone to form the samosa shape making sure the seal is does not break from any side.
- Cover all the samosas with a damp cloth.
Directions for Frying
- Heat up the frying pan with required oil.
- Deep fry the samosas in it on low flame till they turn golden brown.
- Delicious Punjabi Samosas are ready to be served.
- Serve Hot with Tomato Ketchup