Unakka Mulaku Thenga Chammanthi (Roasted Dry Red Chilly & Coconut Chutney) is one of my favourite during my childhood. My Grandma used to prepare this on traditional “Ammi Kallu” (hand grinder), it’s so mouthwatering and spicy accomplishment with Rice or “Kanji” (Gruel). Find below recipe using mixer grinder, instead of traditional “Ammi Kallu”.
- Coconut (Freshly Grated if Possible) 1 Cup
- Dry Red Chillies 5 – 6 Nos. Or Roasted Red Chilly Flakes 2 Teaspoon
- Small Onion 3 Nos.
- Ginger 1/2 teaspoon (nicely chopped)
- Tamarind (“Vaalan Puli”)Size of a small gooseberry
- Curry Leaves 5 – 6 Nos.
- Salt and Coconut Oil as required
- Heat up your favourite pan with a teaspoon of Coconut Oil and lightly warm up the dry red chillies.
- Blend the red chillies a little; Add the Grated coconut, Small Onion, Ginger, Tamarind, Salt and curry leaves.
- Blend it a little but slightly coarse with out adding water.
- Shape it as you like.