Vendakka or Okra or Okro known in many English-speaking countries as ladies’ fingers, bhendi, bhindi, bamia, ochro or gumbo, is a nutritional powerhouse used throughout history for both medicinal and culinary purposes. Like the kiwi fruit (okra actually shares many kiwi fruit benefits), okra is known for it’s high vitamin C, vitamin K, and folate content,(although not quite as high as kiwi). Further, okra is known for harnessing a superior fiber, which helps with digestion, stabilizes blood sugar, and helps to control the rate at which sugar is absorbed.
This is an easy and tasty recipe scribbled in my mind and tested successfully. This can be used as a side dish for Rice.
- Vendakka (Okra/Lady’s Finger) 250 Grm. Chopped (1 Inch length) and sliced.
- Onion 1 Small nicely chopped.
- Tomato 1 Small nicely chopped.
- Fresh crushed Ginger and Garlic Paste 1/4 teaspoon.
- Green Chilly 3 Nos. Sliced.
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 teaspoon.
- Coriander Powder 1/2 teaspoon.
- Chilly Powder 1 teaspoon.
- Chicken Masala 3/4 teaspoon.
- Salt, Mustard, Coconut Oil and Curry leaves as required.
- Heat up your favourite pan/kadai with some coconut oil (as required).
- Splutter Mustard and Curry Leaves.
- Add Onion and sauté for while, add Ginger Garlic, green chilly, Salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Tomato, sauté till it cooked soft and tender.
- Add vendakka (Okra/Lady’s Finger) and sauté for while.
- Add all the powders and little coconutoil; sauté well about 5 minutes till the powders absorbed by vendakka.
- Close the lid and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and Fry till it changes its colour.